What You Should Know About Wireless Radiation and Your Children
- 0 Comments
- blog, C4ST, canada, children, health, moms who care, news, school, technology, wireless
So often the rules and regulations set for mobile devices and Wi-Fi are based off of studies on adults, yet with studies like this one from November 2015, that suggests 97% of children under the age of four have used a smart device, adults are not the ones that need the most protection.
The significance of that trend is that studies demonstrate that children absorb more microwave radiation than adults, and the current regulations do not incorporate the greater exposure to children. That’s why it’s important for parents to educate themselves on the dangers of wireless radiation and the differences between how it affects them and their children.
For example, from Environmental Health Trust, “the average RF (radiofrequency) energy deposition is two times higher in the brain and 10 times higher in the bone marrow of the skull, compared with mobile phone use by adults”.
We’ve gathered some helpful information that can be a starting point for you to practice safer use of Wi-Fi and mobile devices with children in your life.
- Use LAN (Local Area Network) connections where possible – the recent obsession with going wireless has been a quickly adopted social norm, however it is not the safest. By using LAN connections wherever possible, your children experience less exposure to wireless connections. While it is extremely difficult to avoid wireless radiation in everyday life, you are in control of your home and can make it a safer environment for you and your children by eliminating wireless signals by using a LAN connections.
A bonus tip is to push your local school board to implement this same strategy at their facilities. School and home are where most children spend the majority of their days, so this can make one of the biggest differences for them.
- Go Retro with Hard-Wired Phones – You can play it off as a trendy new vintage look, but a wired phone can be significantly decrease wireless radiation exposure in your home. This will allow you to not only use your cell phone less, but even cordless phones can pose a threat to you and especially your children as they give off heavy amounts of RF radiation.
- Use Airplane Mode as often as possible – With your home being wired, there is less need for your wireless devices. When you’re not using them, put them in airplane mode. Simply putting them in sleep mode is not enough, because they remain connected and emitting a signal in that state. You can also turn the device off, but airplane mode is a quick and easy alternative and will do the job.
- Keep devices away from their head and body – We understand that children will use mobile devices at times, but there are safer ways to use them. Only let your kids use their phone in speaker mode and don’t let them carry it in their pockets or against the body. The devices pose an even greater risk when places right against the child’s skull (like when on a phone call) or other parts of their bodies (in a pocket or bra). Avoiding this at all times is a good habit to get in to.
These are just starters for keeping your children safe, but what will help your friends, family and community is spreading awareness and speaking to your local community. It’s a small start, but it helps grow the movement into something much bigger, creating a safer future for our children.
We encourage everyone to share this information with those close to them (or anyone for that matter) and contact us or your riding representative for more information.