5G is the upcoming high-capacity wireless technology for exponentially more data transfer, and the Canadian government is asking for your input on its rollout. 5G will support on-demand immersive entertainment, the Internet of Things (IoT), self-driving cars and data streaming to your cell phone and other wireless devices. With dense infrastructure, we will all experience substantial exposure to its radiofrequency radiation. Health consequences may be substantial as well. C4ST thinks that we should look before making this leap.
C4ST is recommending a moratorium on the rollout of 5G until the science and scientific gaps have been fully examined, and there is a thorough understanding of the health consequences of this new and untested technology, that will be added to the recent surge of exposure to 3G and 4G wireless radiation from today’s myriad of devices.
HAVE YOUR SAY – instructions are at the end of this article.
HERE ARE 10 REASONS WHY ….
- Many radiation emitting antennae within meters of homes and schools – Intensive infrastructure will be required because 5G technology is effective only over short distances, and is poorly transmitted through solids. This requires unobstructed paths between transmitters and receivers. Thus, many antennae are necessary, preferably line-of-sight. As a result, full-scale implementation could result in “small” yet powerful antennae every 2 to 10 houses in residential areas.1
- Concern regarding health effects – There is strong scientific evidence that the radiation we are now being exposed to from 3G and 4G has serious adverse effects on human health.2 The new spectrum proposed to be licensed has undergone very little research on human health effects. Neither Health Canada nor Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada can point to any peer-reviewed evidence-based science that shows 5G technology is safe.3 What we do know is of concern.
- Cancer concerns – All radiation from wireless devices hasve been designated a Class 2B, possible human carcinogen by the World Health Organization.4 Lead and DDT are in the same category.
- Skin will be most affected – 5G radiation is chiefly absorbed by the skin, the largest organ of the body. 5,6,7,8 The importance of an informed, precautionary approach is magnified due to interactions between wireless radiation and chemical toxicants.9 As one example, some toxicants can concentrate in the skin, and interactions with wireless radiation may be one reason for increasing incidence of skin cancers on non-sun-exposed skin. 5G may magnify and accelerate this issue.
- Adverse effects demonstrated in military applications – We simply do not know the full effects of the 5G pulsed frequencies. As outlined by the Environmental Health Trust we do know for frequencies just above 5G that “…the U.S., Russian and Chinese defense agencies have been developing weapons that rely on the capability of this electromagnetic frequency range to induce unpleasant burning sensations on the skin as a form of crowd control. Millimeter waves are utilized by the U.S. Army in crowd dispersal guns called Active Denial Systems. 10 This is exploiting the fact that sweat ducts may act as antennae for sub-millimetre wavelength radiation, that can cause point heating and pain.11
- Treatments with millimetre wave frequencies in trials have effectively treated headache, arthritic, neuropathic and acute postoperative pain.12
- Inadequate safety standards – Over 224 scientists from 41 nations, who have published peer-reviewed papers on the biological or health effects of non-ionizing radiation13, made the following statement on May 11, 2015: “These findings justify our appeal to the United Nations (UN) and, all member States in the world, to encourage the World Health Organization (WHO) to exert strong leadership in fostering the development of more protective EMF guidelines, encouraging precautionary measures, and educating the public about health risks, particularly risk to children and fetal development. By not taking action, the WHO is failing to fulfill its role as the preeminent international public health agency.”14
- While Innovation, Science and Economic Development is trying to sort our licensing issues, Canada companies are implementing 5G pilots:
- We should learn from past public health disasters. In Canada, our track record of protecting Canadians in a timely manner is not exemplary, when you consider the ongoing delays regarding asbestos, cigarette smoking and bisphenol-A (BPA), as well as thalidomide and urea formaldehyde insulation in the past. The growing scientific evidence indicates that exposure from wireless device emissions are becoming a public health catastrophe of comparable magnitude.
- More uncertainty – Dr. Cindy Russell’s article “A 5G Wireless Future: Will It Give Us a Smart Nation or Contribute to An Unhealthy One? ” asks good questions challenging the North American industries’ plans to roll out 5G technology.15
WHAT CAN I DO? Tell the Canadian Federal Government what you think.
The Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED) document is titled:
As stated, “the objective of the spectrum program is to maximize the economic and social benefits that Canadians derive from the use of the radio frequency spectrum resource.” If there are unintended health consequences, this objective will be undermined.
Email your comments by September 15th, 2017, to:
- Be in either Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF formats;
- Cite the Canada Gazette, Part I, June, 2017, “Consultation on Releasing Millimetre Wave Spectrum to Support 5G”, notice reference number (SLPB- 001-17).
- Reference question 7-2 and make your comments on why ISED should implement a moratorium on the issuance of new licenses under the New Licensing Framework for the 24, 28 and 38 GHz Bands.
State your concerns, e.g. that there should be a moratorium for ALL PROPOSED 5G BANDS, until there is a full analysis of potential adverse health effects, made available to the public, indicating that the proposed exposures are not harmful BEFORE licensing of 5G spectrum.
If possible, follow this up with an email to your Member of Parliament, Minister of Health, Jane.Philpott@parl.gc.ca, Minister of Science email@example.com and Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep.Bains@parl.gc.ca and local authorities e.g. Mayor and city councillors.
- No analyses or evaluation of biological effects were presented in Safety Code 6 (2015), the Safety Code 6 (2015) Rationale, nor in the authorities that are referred to in these reports.
- WHO/IARC Press Release: http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2011/pdfs/pr208_E.pdf
- Kostoff, R. N., & Lau, C. G. Y. (2013). Combined biological and health effects of electromagnetic fields and other agents in the published literature. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 80(7), 1331–1349 .
- 5G FREQUENCIES ARE USED IN WEAPONS https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/5g-networks-iot-scientific-overview-human-health-risks/
- Part of the EMF [electromagnetic field] spectrum that includes extremely low frequency fields (ELF) used for electricity, or radiofrequency radiation (RFR) used for wireless communications
- As of March 22nd, 2017 the appeal had 225 signatures from 41 nations.